Grand designs in the picturesque Yorkshire Wolds: an exclusive opportunity to not only develop the original 1.5 acre Kilnwick Hall's \"Walled Garden\" with with full planning consent for an architect designed luxury dwelling with swimming pool, BUT ALSO the possibility of owning the whole 2.64 acre plot to include the Gardener's 3 bedroom cottage, a large, private garden and potential paddock area.The elegant 'Miesian Form' design of the planned new build provides a contrast against the historic wall and setting. The new dwelling will be single storey in height with a linier flat sedum roof covering. Walls are a combination of brick, render, cedar and glass. Full plans are available.
Vehicular and pedestrian access to the proposed dwelling is to be obtained through the existing access road off the Wilfholme Road through a re-opening of an existing archway. The proposed dwelling is laid out to facilitate wheelchair access at ground floor level, and will be compliant to current disability requirements under the Building Regulations.
The thrust of the design is to provide, what looks like a lightweight glass structure/pavilion slightly elevated above the ground, 'touching the earth lightly'.
The site and its surroundings
The \"Walled Garden\" has been a nursery garden for some years. The site is within the former Kilnwick Hall's Garden Nursery which is designated as a listed building.The site is located on the western side of Church Lane in Kilnwick and Wilfholme Road is to the southern side of the site. The All Saints Church is to the north while open agricultural land lies to the south of the site. A brick masonry garden wall surrounds the entire site and access will be through an existing bricked up arch opening located on the south west corner of the boundary wall. The wall is over one metre thick and four metres high. It is built entirely of bricks and topped by coping flags.
Brief history and development
Kilnwick Hall is thought to have been developed on the site of a medieval farm thatwas under the control of the Gilbertine Canons of nearby Watton Priory. Duringthe Dissolution of the Monasteries between 1536-39, the Kilnwick estate wasgranted to Robert Holgate, who later became Archbishop of York, and passed on hisdeath to the Earl of Warwick. The house was vastly extended in the 18th centuryby Thomas Grimston. The estate remained in the hands of the Grimston family until1943 when, on the death of Captain Luttrell Grimston Byrom, it was sold.The walled garden located to the south of the church served Kilnwick House,primarily for the purpose of supplying vegetables.
The Gardener's Cottage
Rus amat, et ramo, felicia poma, ferentes: the country he loves and the branches loaded with ripe apples. This is the quote above the gardener's cottage door; how apt, as the gardener's cottage has been owned by 2 generations of garden suppliers and has been the living accommodation for the family owned nurseries supplying plants since the mid 1950's to wholesale plant sellers, as well as local councils, businesses and individuals. At ground floor level,the cottage has a fitted kitchen, 2 reception rooms, one with a log burner and a bathroom. To the upper floor are 3 double bedrooms.There are generous gardens to the front and rear as well as a long driveway, with parking space for multiple vehicles.
Property Features :
- Circa 1.5 acre "Walled Garden" plus gardener´s cottage and remaining land
- Full planning for a single luxury dwelling
- Fantastic opportunity for a "Grand Design´s" style project
- Idyllic country retreat in the beautiful Yorkshire Wolds
- York 29 miles - Beverley 8 miles - Hull 17 miles